If you live (or are thinking of living) in the University area, life’s about to get a lot more convenient.
In January of this year the city of Charlotte officially approved the Blue Line Extension for the LYNX light rail – an additional 9 miles of tracks that would provide unprecedented access to the University area from Uptown. Design was completed just over a month ago and the city’s purchased nearly all of the land it needs to finish the job. Construction officially began with underground work back in June of 2013.
If you live anywhere along the light rail path you’ll want to follow the CATS Facebook page, created for the sole purpose of updating folks about the Blue Line Extension. Here you can keep tabs on road closures, get updates on design changes, and generally follow the project along.
Where’s the Blue Line Going?
Well as of now, the light rail terminates in Uptown Charlotte at the 7th Street Station. When the extension is complete there will be 11 additional stops heading Northeast. The stops will include:
9th Street Station
25th Street Station
36th Street Station
Sugar Creek Station
Old Concord Road Station
Tom Hunter Road Station
University City Blvd. Station
JW Clay Blvd. Station
UNC Charlotte Campus Main Station
Construction is slated to finish in Spring 2017 if everything stays on track.
What Does this Mean for Property Values?
Great question. There’s no doubt the light rail extension is going to be great for values all along the line. Commercial property owners along the path are holding onto their properties in anticipation of increased value which means prices will only go up from here. Developers have already started scouting spots for multi-family housing, residential developments, and retail pavilions all the way up the line, too.
If you live anywhere from NoDa to UNC Charlotte, your property value is likely to go up in the coming years as transportation options widen.We’re excited to see how the light rail extension(s) impact the city and also to see the development of the Gold Line streetcar. Charlotte is growing in big ways and property values are only going up from here!
Contact us if you’ve got questions about what the Blue Line Extension means for your home or commercial property.
- Welcome to the Team, Jen Fralin! - 03/02/2017
- One of Charlotte’s Premiere Luxury Homes is On the Market - 11/02/2016
- DIY Security Tips to Keep Burglars at Bay [Infographic] - 09/28/2016
- Sellers: Stats that Prove Why KW Southpark is Charlotte’s Choice - 09/20/2016
- 3 Reasons Now is the Time to Sell Your Home in Charlotte - 06/27/2016
- Check Out Our New Logo! - 06/14/2016
- Welcome to the Team, Chelsea Ashworth! - 06/08/2016
- Charlotte – One of America’s Fastest Moving Housing Markets - 05/16/2016
- KW Family Reunion 2016: What We Learned - 02/24/2016
- Infographic: 6 Reasons Everyone is Moving to Charlotte - 02/15/2016